Hey there, it looks like you haven't registered yet! Joining is free and we would love to have you as part of our community. Register ยป

Discord or TeamSpeak?

Discussion in 'Community News' started by bor3d, Jun 1, 2016.

?

Which voice communication tool should we use?

1. Discord

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. TeamSpeak

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. bor3d

bor3d Founder
    Founder

Hey All,

As you know we've been using discord as our voice communication tool for a while, but doesn't seem like many people use it. I am curious if that's because they don't need it or because it's Discord and not TeamSpeak. So I opened up this community poll to hear your voices on the matter. I'm open to switching to TS3 if we get the support for it, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to changes.

Let me know what you think!

2. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Server Admin
    Server Admin

I used to use Skype until a couple weeks ago. Now I use discord almost every day. I have my own channel for non bG friends that I play with. I would like to use the bG discord more but nobody ever uses it! :'-( Can't say much about TeamSpeak though since I've only used it once (to listen to a town hall meeting long ago lol).

3. Lord Rice

Lord Rice hOI!!
    Council Member

I think Discord would be the way to go because of how popular it is nowadays, the only reason I see for people not using our server is because they most likely have their own discord server. Although, having a FREE VoIP platform to use 24/7 for the community is not a bad thing at all.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore Currently Online.. Probably.
    Council Member

Huge advocate for Teamspeak, it just seems to feel more intuative to me as well as I use it every day (Non-bG server). As an added bonus, it doesn't sell your personal information or claim the rights to anything you upload on discord servers and we could have it located the same ping as our servers.

Discord is okay, but teamspeak seems much better.

5. Fruit

Fruit Does not Expire
    Council Member

Discord is an easy to use platform now. It's came a long way since last year and I've seen a lot of improvement. I can easily connect to discord anywhere as well. I personally have been using discord since July and I've only grown to like it more and more. I dont think I could really go back to ts3 unless it was necessary. It has many custom configurations as well to make it have a lot of bells and whistles. I would love to use bG discord, we need the motivational push to bring people on there.. like advertisement in the server.

6. Monoculus#1

I think Teamspeak is better, fast response time and I have had no problems so far. First day in Discord I was having communication errors and the sound and mics were breaking in an out. Discord is messed up ( for me at least). I think we should do Teamspeak.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hardcore

Council Member

#7 Hardcore, Jun 1, 2016
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
      TS3 might be a little more plain, but it works solid, is very straight forward, and non-intrusive. Low latency voice is also a plus (Second only to mumble). You type a URL to join as easy as 1 click. It also doesn't spy on your computer, but they don't know anything google doesn't I suppose.

Edit: Does discord support settings for higher bitrate yet? Even though they're both Opus codec, it helps with quality of voice. I heard you can only get the higher quality bitrate if you're "partnered" or something like that for discord.

• Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon The Frosty One
      Council Member

I'm more accustomed to Teamspeak 3, having set up multiple servers and being a TS3 Manager on another community. (Cough, Shh)

That being said, I'd love to learn how to properly use Discord, as it does have it's fair share of perks.
      I think that most people just shy out on new stuff, because they're used to being on a certain platform.

• Fruit

Fruit Does not Expire
      Council Member

I don't know, in my fair amount of time, I've never had any problems with discord at all unless it was server data base lag, but that rarely happened for me.

• Lord Rice

Lord Rice hOI!!
      Council Member

I'll agree Discord's privacy policy is kind of ridiculous, but for what it is it serves it's purpose for what we need. However, I am not at all opposed at having a Teamspeak 3 server my only concern is the cost of it. In conclusion, I think that Discord, as a free option is great and would serve it's purpose of being a voice chat platform that the community could use. I'm a even bigger advocate for Teamspeak 3 and I know many people who would go use it daily (Hardcore, Yellow Paint, etc), the cost being my only concern. My vote is with Discord but I can go either way really.

• bor3d

bor3d Founder
      Founder

Cost is no concern for the actual server since it would live on the dedicated box we currently have. I would have to buy this plugin that does some cool stuff to integrate with the forums.

• Hardcore

Council Member

For discord? Or TS3?

• bor3d

bor3d Founder
      Founder

TS3

• Lord Rice

Lord Rice hOI!!
      Council Member

In that case, I would highly prefer Teamspeak 3 over Discord.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • bor3d

bor3d Founder
        Founder

#15 bor3d, Jun 4, 2016
        Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
        Actually, it looks like TeamSpeak has changed their views on Non-Profit entities. I cannot register for a non-profit license anymore because we accept donations (which is stupid). So basically I would have to pay for a license because I accept donations in order to afford my own TeamSpeak license to setup a server. Dumb.

So looks like we will be sticking with Discord for now unless I can convince TeamSpeak to allow us to have a non-profit license.

So, here is what I did. I applied for a regular TeamSpeak license, it's like $30 per year. That's about $2.50 per month and I've added that to our monthly donation goal to cover it.

I'll be setting up TeamSpeak shortly. The server will ONLY support 32 people. I can't afford much more than that at this time.

• Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon The Frosty One
        Council Member

If you need help with TS3 permissions, I can go through them.
        I'm accustomed to the permission system, and can spot any inconsistencies.

• Lord Rice

Lord Rice hOI!!
        Council Member

32 is great! That'd probably fit more than enough people in the teamspeak server.

• Monoculus#1

Lol, I don't even think 32 of the people use TS anyways xD

• Hardcore

Council Member

IIRC, we only hit our TS cap once or twice for a town hall meeting.

I'm sure excited though, it'll be nice to have a teamspeak 3 server to call home! :)